Business English (BEC)
What is it?
The Business English (BEC) course at MCSE is designed to provide students with the practical skills and communication level required to succeed in an English-speaking, international business environment. In addition, the course prepares students to take the Cambridge-certified Business English exams (BEC) which are accepted worldwide by
- leading employers
- education institutions
- government agencies
- all categories of UK visa application, including Tier 2 and Tier 4 covering work and study
The exam assesses your ability to use English for a wide range of work-related functions including arranging appointments and meetings, understanding office communication, welcoming foreign visitors, giving information about a product or service, and much more.
Aims of the course
The Business English (BEC) course at MCSE prepares students for working internationally in various business fields and/or to take the Cambridge Business English exams (BEC) by
- teaching learners how to use English in business environments
- studying a variety of business-related topics such as arranging meetings, job descriptions, staff motivation, recruitment, letter writing, e-business, business ethics
- developing key language skills and cross-cultural communication skills through business orientated tasks
- stimulating creative thinking and analysis by dealing with real life work situations
- teaching exam tips and strategies
- exam practice
How long is the course? Do I need to do the whole course?
If you want to take one of the BEC exams, it is strongly recommended that you complete the full course which takes 8 weeks full-time with one optional extra week for exam practice.
The course has a specific start date and end date – such dates are determined by the number of students wishing to take the course at a given time.
The exam format
All four language skills (reading, writing, listening and speaking) plus knowledge of grammar and vocabulary are assessed in the exam. The diagram below shows the exam format.
Who is it for?
The course is for candidates who have experience of, or are interested in entering, a range of business fields, including marketing, production, financial services and general office work.
When is the exam taken?
Once your course has been completed, students can apply to take the BEC exam which runs at Cambridge centres regularly throughout the calendar year. Find your nearest centre at www.cambridgeenglish.org/centres to obtain details of exam dates, exam costs and how to register for the exam. Your tutor at MCSE can also help you with this.
For further information about the BEC exams go to:
ARE YOU READY TO JOIN MCSE?
The most central English language school in Manchester