What is it?
The English for Academic Purposes course at MCSE provides students with the academic skills and language needed for study purposes at university for under-graduate courses (e.g. foundation and first degree courses) and post-graduate study (e.g. Master’s and PhD courses).
Who is it for?
The EAP course at MCSE is suitable for
- students who have achieved their IELTS score and require Academic English and study skills to prepare for university
- students who have a first degree and simply want to refresh their Academic English and study skills before starting a post-graduate course at university
Aims of the course
The EAP course at MCSE prepares students for university by
- developing academic language and critical thinking skills in academic contexts
- providing authentic practice in listening to lectures and note-taking
- practising presentation skills and participating in discussion groups and seminars
- analysing the characteristics of written and spoken texts
- learning how to organise essays
- learning how to write references, paraphrase texts and avoid plagiarism
- developing independent learning skills
What level of English is needed for the course?
The course focuses on Intermediate to Advanced, CEFR levels B1 to C1, equivalent to IELTS bands 5.0 to 7.0. You will need to prove your level of English before acceptance on to the course.
How long is the course?
The course takes 8 weeks full-time.
ARE YOU READY TO JOIN MCSE?
The most central English language school in Manchester